Monday, February 7, 2011

Splash Time

Arabella decided that Jay should come to her swim lessons last week. Before and after class they had some splash time fun in the family pool. Arabella is doing great in swim lessons and the only complaint that I have is the bubble that she has to wear on her back. It is like an oval basketball that is air filled. You can increase and decrease the air in it depending on her swim level. We tried the same thing over the summer and I ended up returning it. I really don't like the design of it and I don't think that it really is helping her at all. When she wears it she flops all over the water and it seems to make her unstable and she struggles to be able to kick. Instead of being horizontal in the water, she is vertical and the bubble moves up and down her back and has even rotated to her front. Since I taught swim lessons when I was in high school, I have some knowledge on how kids learn and the devices that they can use. In all the lessons I taught and over the 3 or 4 years, I never saw what is happening to Arabella when she has the bubble on happen to any of the kids who wore the foam swim back bubble. I am going to do some research and order one for her if I can find it. I just think it is a better product and she will end up being more successful in her lessons. And that is what matters most. Enough about the bubble, she and Jay had a fun time swimming and she can't wait to take him back!




No comments: