Monday, February 21, 2011

Ice Bridge

What we did yesterday goes against everything I was told not to do when I was young. We were always told to not play on the ice, so why on earth would I want to drive over it? Maybe it was partly for the adrenaline rush and the thought that we were doing something that is just not normal or just because we were feeling a bit crazy, we bundled up and set out for the short ride to Hudson to take the ice bridge to Oka. In the warmer months, there is ferry service between the two towns, but as soon as the weather turns cold and the Lake of Two Mountains freeze, they open up the ice bridge which is a 2 kilometer drive over the water between Hudson and Oka. The ice has to be at least 35 centimeters thick for it to be safe to drive on and the vehicle cannot weigh more than 7000 pounds. I was the one driving and as we handed over the $6 fee to cross the frozen lake, I was nervous. But once we were under way, it was fun. We stopped in the middle and got out to take some pictures and check out the ice fishing that was going on. Arabella enjoyed dancing on the ice and even thought it was really windy and cold, but we still had a fun time.
Arabella, Lori and I on the ice! Ice fishing Lori and I braving the wind! Jay, Arabella and I trying to stay warm. After the ride across the bridge, we drove around Oka and stumbled upon the Abbey of Notre-Dame du Lac and it's store. They had a wonderful selection of chocolates, pastries, and cheeses among other food items. We purchased some chocolate, a raspberry tart, some Oka cheese (made at the Abbey) and Arabella enjoyed a chocolate croissant!

Enjoy this quick little video of part of our ride across the Ice Bridge!

No comments: