The snow started early Tuesday morning, right as school was starting, I am surprised they even had the kids go in at all! Arabella was so excited when I picked her up at school. We came home and had an early lunch and then went out to play in the snow! Max had fun too, he followed Arabella around and wanted to do what she was doing. I knew there was a reason why I kept almost all of our winter gear that we accumulated while in Canada - for times like this. We were bundled up and ready to brave the elements. However, poor Max ended up in a pair of Arabella's old furry white winter snow boots from our first winter in Montreal. He also didn't have snow pants, so he ended up in a pair of her old size 2T splash pants with a few layers on underneath. They built a snowman and played in the yard. The snow was really wet, the kind that soaks through everything and quick. It didn't stop us from having fun though!
On Tuesday night, Mom/Grammie was a bit worried about us since Jay was in Myrtle Beach and we were forcasted to get ice. She wanted me to go out in the morning and stock up on a few staples...you would think she has lived in Florida her whole life and never in Ohio or the Northeast...and to make sure I had a gull tank of gas. So on Wednesday morning, when there was a bit of a lull in the snow, we took a drive to Target and then to gas up. It was hysterical to see how slow people were driving. The roads were hardly snow covered and the snow was lightly falling. I know people here are not used to this type of weather, but I can't help but laugh. Arabella was excited and Max went along with it. The loved having the snowflakes fall on them and I seriously think people thought we were insane then they complained to us about the snow in the store and we responded with loving it!
Anyway, we were out around 9 in the morning and I thought it odd to see so many businesses closed or dark at that time of the day. I doubled checked the clock in the car to make sure it really was 9 and not earlier. We laughed because it is odd to see Chick-Fil-A closed....
Seriously...they were closed and that is all the snow that was on the ground...INSANE!
As we left the Target plaza, I noticed that even more stores were closed and the bank employees were locking up as we drove by. On any given day, the parking lot here would be packed with cars!
We went to gas up...so Grammie wouldn't worry and Arabella kept asking me why everyone was driving so slow. I had to explain to her that they are not used to this weather and she said "Oh, come on!" She was hysterical. I mean, I agreed with her and I was totally comfortable driving and being out in the weather with her and Max with me, it was the other drivers who concerned me a bit.
When we were out, I thought it fitting to take a picture of the South Carolina state line marker in the snow...not something you regularly see...or the North Carolina one since we are really far south!
The roads were not bad at all. Jay did put my snow tires from Montreal on my car a while back so that helped a bit. We took our time and kept a good distance from the crazy drivers. I have to say that I enjoyed being out in the snow - crazy, I know - but I miss Montreal and Canada terribly - and this type of weather brought me some joy.
This was the only snow plow we saw while we were out. It shouldn't surprise me - we learned that our town only has ONE tractor with a plow and limited salt!
And when there is an accident, they just leave the cars in the middle of the road, like this one...
We went out and played in the snow on Wednesday. It was hard to keep Arabella inside! She was too excited and loved being in the snow. We played for awhile while Max napped and it was a ton of fun. We got in as much playing before it started to turn to ice. When we had enough of being outside, we came in and warmed up in front of the fire. It was nice to have some time to relax and play.
The ice arrived on Wednesday evening and it coated everything with a brilliant shine. It was so pretty but very slippery!
I am pretty sure that a palm tree isn't supposed to look like this!
It started snowing again so everything covered in ice was snow covered. It didn't last long on Thursday and by early afternoon the sun and the Carolina blue skies were shining. We bundled up and went out to get some fresh air. It was evident that the streets were not going to be plowed and that people wait for the sun to melt the snow. We took a walk and Max loved being pulled in the sled! We also did a bit of sledding...as much as I could with Max who went down the small hill once with Arabella. There was a narrowly averted disaster with them and the hill, a tree and the stream...he lost a boot, the sled ended up in the water and Arabella and Max landed within a few feet of going over the edge and into the water. They were both fine, but Max made it clear that he just wanted to watch Arabella! It was a good reason to head back to the house and shovel the driveway...something that I had not had to do in 3 1/2 years! We sure were spoiled in Montreal. The snow was wet and heavy and it was rough but we needed to clear a spot for Jay who was making his way home from being iced in at Myrtle Beach. (We worked our bums off and he ended up having to stop about an hour from home because of all the ice on the roads!)
We are all very happy for the snow that we were able to enjoy. It was nice to get out and play in the snow. I know were were all very happy. And after being cooped up for a few days, missing school and trying to keep busy, I earned and enjoyed this glass of wine on Thursday night in front of the fire!
Thank you Mother Nature for the beautiful snow and for allowing us Northerner's a bit of what we are used to!
No comments:
Post a Comment