Thursday, March 11, 2010

Road Trip

Arabella and I took our first Girls Only Road Trip last weekend. This is a big deal for me since I hate to take car trips, my max in the car is about 3 - 4 hours and then I start to get pretty antsy. So me being the only driver, I was a little be nervous about making the 6 1/2 hour trek to Connecticut by myself. But it was a great trip, the drive is pretty and it was not too bad. I would have no problem doing this trip again.

The weather on our drive was beautiful. The sun was shining and there was not too much traffic. Arabella was happy watching her DVD player, which I never thought I would need. I was hesitant at first when Jay mentioned that he wanted to install one in my car. I hate to use the TV or DVDs to keep her occupied. It makes me feel like a bad parent, but sometimes it is the only thing that allows me to get things done. She also had a lot of healthy snacks to eat and was happy as a clam with all the books, toys and her Etch-A-Sketch from Uncle Mike.

Customs was not too bad...I am sure it could have been worse. I got "harassed" by the agent because I was driving a car that is still registered in Ohio. Yes, I know, we have been living here for over 3 months, and my car still has US plates. Quebec doesn't make it too easy to register your vehicle. You need to jump through a lot of hoops to get it done. Jay is working on it and hopefully it will be done soon. He also took away Arabella's grapes, I thought she was going to have a fit, but she seemed to know that now was not the time to have a meltdown! I was very happy when he handed back out passports and we were on our way!

The main reason for our road trip was to surprise my friend Laureen at her baby shower. We also wanted to see some family and friends that we had not seen in over a year! We stayed at Grampy & Heather's house. Arabella loved it! She was spoiled and even allowed to eat pickles for breakfast. Not what I would normally give her, but at least it is healthy and not full of sugar! She had so much fun playing with the cats and dogs. She even got to feed Patches, the turtle, his breakfast. I was amazed at how at home she was at Grampy's considering she had never stayed there before and all of the cats (4) and dogs (2) were new to her. She would chase Albert (her favorite cat) around and even ask for him as soon as she got up in the morning. She loved to pet Winks, and Winks loved it. Aston, the Akita, who was 4 times the size of her would let her climb all over him! I wish I had more pictures of her playing with the animals, none of them were cooperating for photos, they just wanted to play.


Arabella and Winks

Arabella also had her first lollipop - An Organic Ginger Pop! She loved it!



On Monday morning, we went to Target with Grampy! I was so excited to go to Target, I was having withdrawal since I had not been there since November! I was able to stock up on things that we can't get in Canada like my Morningstar Farms veggie burgers! Grampy and Heather also bought Arabella 4 new pairs of shoes and a bathing suit...THANK YOU! After our shopping trip, we went back to Grampy's and packed up the car. We were sad to leave, but had to go get Auntie Lori who was joining us on the ride back to Canada!

On the way to Auntie Lori's, we drive by the New Hartford reservoir, it was so beautiful, I stopped to snap a few pictures. It was the perfect early Spring day and sights like this that make me miss New England!





Our weekend went my way too fast and we can't wait to go back to Connecticut for Easter!

No comments: