Sunday, March 28, 2010

Can't A Girl Get Some Greek Yogurt???

Since moving here, I have been searching for one of my favorite foods, Greek Yogurt. For those of you who are not familiar with Greek Yogurt, it is amazing! It is thicker and richer than regular yogurt. It also has a lower sugar and higher protein content and it has 0% fat (or fuller fat, if that is what you prefer). And with more protein than regular yogurt, it makes you feel fuller after eating it. I love to have it with raspberries and a handful of Kashi Cocoa Beach granola...I am getting hungry just thinking about it!

Anyway, each time I go to the grocery store, I search in both the organic and regular yogurt sections. So when I thought I found some by Liberte (a really good yogurt brand) last week I was super excited! The label didn't say "Greek Yogurt" but it did say "Mediterranee", which I thought would be close enough. But imagine my surprise, when in my excited state, I am telling Jay that I found Greek yogurt, he says "You know, that is the yogurt I like and it has the really high fat content, right???". I was sure he was wrong, how could it be, all I wanted was some good, low fat, thick yogurt. So I ran to the refrigerator and checked the carton. Sure enough, he was right. 8.5% milk fat, 250 calories and 15 grams of fat per 175 gram serving! (175 grams = roughly 6 ounces). Holy crap, I was fooled by the labeling!






Jay and Arabella have been enjoying the yogurt and I am still on the hunt! If anyone knows where I can get some true Greek yogurt in Montreal, please let me know!!

No comments: