Saturday, February 13, 2010

Back to Yoga

This evening I had my first yoga class in over a year. I have been meaning to get back to my lessons, but things were a little too hectic this past year and the timing was just not right. I looked forward to my class all day, not just because it was going to be 90 minutes of relaxation and stretching, but because I was trying a new practice, Bikram. I was also looking forward to the heat as winter is becoming long and cold up here! For those of you not familiar with yoga, Bikram Yoga is done in a room that is heated to 42 degrees celsius / 105 degrees fahrenheit. The room is intentionally heated to warm your muscles and allow you to work deeper and safer. The heat also heals, helps prevent injuries and promotes sweating which flushes toxins from your body. It reduces stress, increases blood circulation, improves strength and flexibility. Regular practice (at least three times a week) can reduce the symptoms of many chronic diseases (i.e. arthritis, diabetes and thyroid disorders). It also promotes relaxation. Bikram Yoga is a demanding 26 pose (asana) series that is an intense and challenging workout.

The heat was pretty intense and you feel as if you are walking into a sauna when you enter the room. I almost felt as if I started to immediately sweat, but that is one of the purposes of this practice. The sweat and heat help you to improve your stamina, increase your muscle tone and lose weight/inches. I actually was surprised at how much I was sweating. During one pose, I looked down and noticed that I had sweat on my toes and it was running down my legs. I am one of those people who actually likes it when I sweat while working out and if I don't sweat I feel like I am not working hard enough. I did get lightheaded a few times, but that is to be expected and with continued practice will go away. I left feeling great, how I feel tomorrow is another story. I am sure I will be a little sore but in an odd way, I love when my muscles have that pain.

Another bonus, the class is taught in French and English so it just might help me in picking up and understanding more French. I am glad I decided to try this class and can't wait to go back!

No comments: