Thursday, May 16, 2013

39 Things I (Will) Miss About Montreal

Today while driving home from dropping Arabella off at school and after receiving a text message from a friend there, it started to hit me.  I miss Montreal.  After all Max was born there, so we will be forever tied to Montreal and Quebec.  It wasn't an easy transition when we moved there, after all it was during a snowy December that we moved in, but once we found our groove it was a really good thing.  I'd still be there if it was my choice, but alas, we are a slave to the corporation known as Caterpillar.  And when they say jump, Jay says how high and he (we) like that he is in the field and that has its own set of sacrifices but we would rather have that instead of him being stuck behind some desk in Peoria, Illinois.  I loved the expat life and if they came to us and asked us to move overseas again, I know we would both jump at the opportunity.  It has some drawbacks but there are mostly positives to living the expatriate life and we were very fortunate to have had the opportunity to live in Montreal.

So as part of my healing and trying to move forward, I wanted to put down 39 things that I miss, or will miss about Montreal.  Why 39?  One for each month we lived there.  (Although, there are more than 39 things I (will) miss.)  They are not in any particular order but rather just as they come to mind...

1.  A Tim Horton's on every corner

2.  Hockey and it being like a religion

3.  Magic Circle Preschool

4.  My "Hot Hudson Moms" and our support system

5.  Zig Zag Zoo

6.  The in-store made jam at Metro

7.  Thai Express

8.  Our neighborhood and the mature trees

9.  Emily, the best and most amazing babysitter in the world

10.  The daily Lululemon fashion show at our pool in the Summer

11.  Pointe Claire swim lessons

12.  The Lakeshore

13.  Bram and his phone calls or better yet his impromptu visits

14.  The other Mom's at Magic Circle

15.  Canada's colorful and pretty money

16.  Loonies and Toonies

17.  June's Canada Day and Corn Roast parties

18.  Laura and her understanding of what it is like to have a preemie and all the worry that goes along with it

19.  Snow, snow and more snow

20.  Living close enough to hear the trains on the tracks

21.  Being close to the airport

22.  Marche Adonis

23.  Premiere Moisson

24.  Montreal traffic...I know sounds crazy

25.  Crepes

26.  Truly authentic French Macarons

27.  Having Arabella learn 2 languages from such a young age

28.  The Wolf gas stove in our kitchen

29.  Seeing signage and newspapers in French and English

30.  D&B's  a/k/a Ditch & Bitch nights with my girls

31.  Our neighbors and knowing that if I/we needed anything they would be there

32.  The culture and constant opportunities to get immersed in it

33.  A simple and less complicated way of life

34.  Tremblant

35.  Monthly cross border shopping trips

36.  Monkey Bar Gym

37.  Butterflies Go Free

38.  Poutine

39.  True changing of seasons

Wow...as easy as it sounded to do, that was so very hard and emotionally draining.





No comments: