Earlier this week, Arabella had field day at school. She had so much fun and the weather was sunny, albeit a bit warm and humid...but we do live in the South, so I guess it is to be expected even if it is only April! They did the typical field day games, races and obstacle courses. But it isn't like the field days of my era where kids and classes won ribbons and placed in events. I asked Arabella about ribbons or even if the received stickers for winning and she had no idea what I was talking about. (I wonder the reasoning behind this - does it make it too competitive or are they trying to teach the kids that you just need to participate and try your best because everyone is a winner...I'm not sure totally how I feel about it. I think kids need to learn about winning and losing and not always coming in 1st, and how else do you teach that?)
All deep thoughts aside, she loved it. She loves to run and play and liked being with her friends outside for a change instead of being in the classroom. She was very excited to tell me about the afternoon session, which we missed, Max was napping. Her favorite part, tug-o-war! I can't say that I blame her, that was one of my favorites too!
No comments:
Post a Comment