Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas

Fun Fact*: In 1917, St. Thomas was purchased (along with St. John and St. Croix) by the United States for $25 million, as part of a defensive strategy to maintain control over the Caribbean and the Panama Canal during World War I.



It was so funny, to see CNN on the big screen bright and early at breakfast on Monday. I guess some people still need to get their fix of the news. I was amazed at how many people were sitting in deck chairs watching the big screen during breakfast.


Since we had not planned any shore excursions in St. Thomas and the beaches were closed, or so we were told due to bad weather the previous week, we decided to check out some of the Duty Free Shopping in the Port before taking a quick walk to the St. Thomas Sky Ride. There were all types of jewelry stores and perfume stores. We even had the chance to sample some Guava Rum, it was so good! But instead of spending our time shopping, we kept walking. I couldn't belive how hot it was and there was hardly any breeze. The Skyride was nice, it was like taking a ski gondola to the top of a mountain, only all you could see was beautiful turquoise water and lush green foliage.
There was a sea plane that took off all day in the harbor where we were docked. It was so fun to watch it take off and land!







After the Skyride, we headed back to the Duty Free Shops before getting back on the ship for lunch. I was so very good, and bought not a thing at the Shops! One funny thing that we noticed on the way back, was that the cars were driving "on the wrong side of the road".



Arabella and I did some swimming in the pool before she and Jay went back to the room for nap time. I then spent the afternoon on deck enjoying the sun and my book!







Before dinner, we watched part of the movie The Princess and The Frog on the big screen on deck - Arabella loved watching the movie outside! Then it was off to dinner for some yummy food! St. Thomas was beautiful and we had a great day!








*Fun Fact has been taken from the Carnival Fun Ashore Your Guide to Shore Excursions Book.

No comments: