Thursday, October 21, 2010

Basseterre, St. Kitts

Fun Facts*

Brimstone Hill Fortress National Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is the largest fortress ever built in the Eastern Caribbean.

During the last Ice Age, the sea level was 200 feet (60m) lever and St. Kitts and Nevis were one island with St. Eustatius (also known as Statia) and Saba.

St. Kitts is AMAZING! I love this island and want to go back! St. Kitts is not as commercialized as some islands we visited, but it still had everything that I could want! We once again, headed to a beach, and I was loving every minute of the sun, sand and surf.





On the taxi ride to Spice Mill at Cockleshell Beach, we learned about the island and some of the inhabitants...monkeys! To be exact, there are 90,000 monkeys on the island, that is 2 monkeys for every person on the island. So on the ride, we kept an eye out for them, but no luck in spotting any, we just ended up getting a flat tire...not the worst thing that could happen, it allowed me to grab some great pictures, but it did put a little dent in our beach time.





Jay and they other guys in the taxi with us, helped the driver change the flat and get us back on our way.





Once we got to the beach, I knew I was in love. Spice Mill at Cockleshell Beach is a beach bar/restaurant that also rents on chairs and umbrellas. For the most part, the beaches are very secluded and you had a perfect view of Nevis, St. Kitts sister island. There were two other bars/restaurants on the beach here, but it did not feel commercialized at all. Arabella and I spent time searching for large cockleshells, and sure enough, we found a ton of them. I even ended up bring home 4 (I had to carry the 2 largest ones in my carry on bag since they were so heavy). Don't worry, they are not for just me, Arabella and I picked 2 of them out for a few special people! At Cockleshell Beach, we were able to enjoy it and relax without being hounded to buy things. We ate lunch on the beach and I even enjoyed a "Ting with a Sting", a yummy local drink, Ting grapefruit soda with CSR, the local rum-like sugarcane liquor.











Right as we were leaving the beach, we spotted our first monkey. I was able to snap a picture before the monkey's owner saw me, since if he did, I would have had to pay for the picture!

Yes, that is a monkey sitting on Jay's head!



After the beach, we went back to the port to check out a few of the Duty Free Shops.
We looked at the liquor and ended up with a bottle of local rum that was recommended to us. But seriously, buying your alcohol in the Caribbean is the only way to go...check out some of these prices:

Not buying this Hennessy! You are reading that correctly, $2,250! The rest of the prices were amazing!





Then it was back to the ship to let the hard playing beach baby sleep before dinner.



I was lucky enough to watch the sun set from the ships deck while we were leaving St. Kitts before we went to dinner. It was a beautiful sunset!











*Fun Facts have been taken from the Carnival Fun Ashore Your Guide to Shore Excursions Book.

No comments: