Barbados was the only vacation destination in the world with scheduled Concord service, and had up to 4 flights per week during the winter season.
For over three centuries, Barbados was a colony and protectorate of the United Kingdom, and still maintains with Queen Elizabeth II as Head of State.
In addition to the above Fun Facts, we were reminded that we should be careful when crossing the street, since the cars drive on the left side of the road in Barbados. In addition, as of October 1, 2010, a national no smoking law was passed in Barbados. Consequently, it is now illegal to smoke in public areas on the island. How nice is that??
Barbados was one of my favorite stops on the cruise. The beaches were beautiful, the people were friendly and overall we had a great time there. We only spent time on the beach, but there is so much more to explore - Harrison's Cave, Flower Forest, Shipwrecks, and snorkeling with sea turtles. Barbados is definitely one of the places that I want to go back to. We started by taking a taxi to Harbor Lights Beach Club at Carlisle Beach which is on the Caribbean Sea side. The beach and water was breathtaking. The blue of the sky and greens of the water were just perfect, I was speechless and then when you add in the pink sand...WOW! Arabella and I were in heaven. Jay was starting to get sick of the beach at this point, but was a good sport since we had chairs and an umbrella, there was food within walking distance and one the "Pirate Ship" appeared, there was entertainment! The beach was also pretty relaxing since we were not hounded too much to buy things from the locals, once you said you were not interested, they left you alone. And I am sure it helped that the police were patrolling the beach!

I also learned about Barbados Rum. I had no idea that Rum was this popular...
After the spending at least 4 hours on the beach, Arabella and Jay went back to the port and ship for a nap, while I walked around the shopping area in Bridgetown. I struck out with shopping there, but did pick up some cute earring for Arabella and myself, as well as, Rum Cakes for Jay in the Duty Free Shops before getting back on the Ship. We had a great dinner, once again, and then Arabella had some ice cream from the 24 hour ice cream station. She is still asking for after dinner now that we are home!
*Fun Facts have been taken from the Carnival Fun Ashore Your Guide to Shore Excursions Book.
No comments:
Post a Comment