Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Planting a Garden at School

A while back, Arabella's teacher sent out an email asking for help to clean up the little garden outside her classroom. Since it is a bit hard to get involved at school (that is a whole separate blog post), I decided to help out with this project. I was the only one who volunteered for this project, and that is OK with me, it wasn't too big of a project and I enjoyed working with her teacher to figure out what we could do. She wants to be able to tie it into a science lesson throughout the year. So one, rainy and damp Saturday morning, I went to the school and cleaned up the bed. It went from this:

And about 30 minutes later...


We decided that the children would have fun planting and learning about bulbs. And that it would become a fun science lesson in the spring when they start to push up through the soil and bloom. Arabella's teacher picked up some new soil, I purchased some bulbs that were 50% off at Lowes and a few other parents sent in some bulbs to be planted. Max and I went to school one day last week and we planted about 60 bulbs. I explained to the children which way the bulb needed to be put in the soil and they had fun picking out which hole (I pre-dug holes in the interest of not getting them too dirty and to save some time) to put their bulb in. Each child planted 2 or 3 bulbs and are excited to see what happens.  Max had fun seeing all the kids and was on his best behavior.  He enjoyed being out in the sunshine and warmer weather. I can't wait to hear about it from Arabella when they start to see some growth. I am sure it will be a beautiful little garden in the spring!




No comments: