Saturday, July 13, 2013

Stop Hunger Now


This morning, Arabella and I did something to pay it forward. Ever since I can remember, I have been involved with community service, I had to do it in high school and it carried on after that as well. It has been something that I have wanted to start doing with Arabella - I think it is a very important lesson for her to learn (and will do the same with Maxton). So when we joined our church here, we had the opportunity to get involved and make a difference. Arabella is already a very caring and compassionate child who loves to help others. She is also very wise and understands way more than we think she does. So when I told her that we were having a girls morning and we going to do something fun to help other kids, she was all about it. We got up early to make it to church for 8:45 am. We were the first shift of the day and we had a big job ahead of us. We were part of a team making 80,000 meals in 1 hour and 3 minutes. The goal for the day was to make 285,000 meals that will be shipped to Africa to make sure that children had a hot meal to eat. Our church, St. Matthew's Catholic Church, has teamed up with Stop Hunger Now to make these meals, each one costing 25 cents. It is amazing how little it truly costs to feed someone. We are so lucky and we don't even realize it. It makes me sad to learn that every 6 seconds, a child dies from hunger. And what is even more alarming - we have enough food on this planet to feed every person 4.3 pounds of food a day.
Our set up of the food to be packaged and the packaging it goes into.
Here is the best little runner of the day! So happy to help!


Our team worked hard to package the meals, which include a cup of rice, a cup of soy protein, some vegetables and a vitamin packet for those who suffer from malnutrition. It was so easy and simple to do this and Arabella was such a great help. Once we filled the bins with the packages, she "ran" them to another station so they could be weighed and then sealed for shipment. She LOVED helping! It was a great experience and I know that we will do it again together. When I asked her what she liked best about today at bed time she told me "I liked helping the other people" - and she could have responded with many different things. I guess that really says something and makes me think we are doing something right as parents. Thank you Arabella for spending such an important morning with me.
If you are interested in learning more about how we helped today, please check out the website: http://www.stophungernow.org/

No comments: