Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fire Station Field Trip

Yesterday, Arabella and I joined her class on a field trip to the Pincourt Fire Station. The week before in school, the theme was Safety, and they learned all about the fire department, police and paramedics. She also learned that she is supposed to call 911 if Jay and I are hurt and do not respond to her...pretty good for a 3 1/2 year old! At first she was a little scared when we got there, I mean who wouldn't be, those trucks are really big. But very quickly she got over the fear and loved it. They also did a presentation on fire safety and other hazards around the house which really helped the kids to learn what is safe to do and what isn't.

After that, it was time to head into the station and help one of the firefighters get dressed. The kids had fun trying to decide what order he should get dressed in.


And when he was finished getting fully dressed, with even the oxygen mask on, he got down on the kid's level. He did this so they wouldn't be scared, because it is kind of scary, and so that if there is ever an instance where there is a fire, they would know that the firemen would be down low like that looking for them and that it would be OK for them to go to the firemen. I really liked that they did that.

The kids also got to climb into one of the trucks. They thought it was the coolest thing even and loved it!


Before we knew it, it was time for snacks and then to go home. Arabella loved the snack...timbits...and today at school, they asked each child what was their favorite part of the field trip and she said "Timbits"!! Such a silly girl! Before we went home, the firemen gave her an activity book and a red fire hat (I remember getting the same one when the firemen visited my elementary school growing up - funny how some things never change!). It was a fun morning and I am so happy that I am able to do these things with her.


No comments: