Monday, August 8, 2011

Open Letter To Mom's At Our Pool

I wouldn't normally rant like this...but since what I witnessed at the pool this morning during Arabella's swim class has been bothering me since, this might help to get it off me chest! I do however want to preface this by saying that I am not trying to tell this parent how to handle their child, but rather I am speaking from experience - I was a life guard and swim instructor for many years.

Dear Mom at the Pool -

When your child is screaming and clutching onto you do you think you should just drop her in the pool for her swim lesson? As she is clawing into your leg, isn't she trying to tell you something? You child was mortified and scared to death to be in the pool. Didn't her screams for "Mommy, Mommy, Mommy" for 20 straight minutes in between the scream get to you? You daughter was beet red and hyperventilating, yet you made the instructor take her? Do you not see that this will only make her more scared? It seemed that you were alright with this behavior...I was not. I was scared and concerned for your child as well as my own.

Did you think that by walking from one end of the pool to the other as the class was taking place would make her stop crying? It didn't. Did you think that sending Dad to get the stuffed animal would make her feel better? I didn't see any change in the crying. Did you think that allowing her to take the stuffed animal into the pool with her would help? Nope, it was just one more thing that the instructor had to pay attention to during the class. I could go on with the behavior that I witnessed, but is it important? Not really. What is important is your child was asking, no, begging for you to comfort her and to help her. But you ignored it.

By having a child that is out of control - screaming and thrashing about in the water - made it unsafe for my child and yours and the rest of the children in the class and pool. The instructors are there to teach our children how to swim, not try to calm them down for 20 minutes. I would imagine the screaming child is and was a distraction for the other life guards who were on duty watching over the pool. I know that when I was guarding, when I heard screaming and/or crying, my attention would automatically be focused on that rather than what was going on in the pool under my watch.

Please, don't force your child to take swim lessons. Next time stay with them at as they sit on the edge of the pool and watch the class. Let them ease into it. By forcing her, you could have made her forever scared of the water. I realize it is important for children to realize and face their fears - but what happened today tortured me as I watched. And you risked the safety of my daughter today. My daughter was also concerned for your child and her swim class today was not beneficial...that is one swim lesson that she won't get back. It was a missed opportunity for my child. Please don't be so inconsiderate.

Sincerely,

A Concerned Mom

PS - On another pool related topic...can you all please teach your kids to share and not be mean??? It breaks my heart when my sweet daughter ask "Can I please play with you?" only to get a nasty response back of "No!" Seriously, what happened to manners? All this behavior makes me want to join a different pool next summer...

Now, I feel better.

No comments: