Thursday, September 18, 2014

The More Things Change, The More They Stay The Same

I made a trip back to Connecticut to help Aunt Moona go through some of Aunt Rose's things.  She had been asking me to help her for a few years now and it just never seemed to take place when I was back home.  It was something that I needed to do with her so we figured out when Jay was going to be in town so he could watch Max & Arabella - it wasn't something that I wanted to do with kids or could really do with them.  It wasn't easy going through Aunt Rose's things - it feels odd, especially when she is still alive, albeit living with Alzheimer's.  (I visited her and it was heartbreaking.  She looks the same, just a bit unkempt and with a blank look on her face.  She can't have a conversation with you and she had no idea at all who I was, or even who Aunt Moona was, and she visits her a few times a week.  It is a horrible, horrible disease.  She is just a shell of a person and I know understand why people pray to God to have him take her home.)

While I accomplished going through Aunt Rose's possession, I also had some time to visit with friends and family.  On Thursday, I met friends for dinner at Lenny & Joe's in Westbrook.  I hadn't been to the beach in a few years and driving there, was like taking a trip down memory lane.  I can drive Route 9 with my eyes closed.  I looks just like I remember it to and it was the perfect drive on a warm, early autumn day.  The leaves were just starting to change.  I remember when I was younger, it seemed like it took so long to drive to the beach house, when it really only takes about 30 minutes.  I miss that drive and time spent at the beach.






 I planned out my whole life on that beach and it was bittersweet going back.  I always thought my kids would play on "Moona Beach" just like my dad did and how my brother and I did.  I spent at least 26 Summers there.  It is part of my soul.  I find such comfort and serenity when I spend time on the beach.  It helps me clear my head and calm me.



So many things have changed along the shoreline, but so much is the same.  I was happy sitting on the beach wall watching the sun set.  It was magical and beautiful, just like I remember.








No comments: