Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Not Your Mother's Cheerleading

When we moved here, I had a difficult time finding a gynmastics gym for Arabella. WIMGYM was amazing in Montreal so we had a high standard that we are used to - new gym, great coaches and a top notch program. Now I am not saying that something like that doesn't exist here in Charlotte, just that I have yet to find it. She loves gymnastics and tumbling and has been doing it since we moved to Montreal when she was a little more than 18 months. In looking for the program, we came across tumbling here in town at a smaller local cheer gym. She did a trial tumbling and cheer class and loved it. I think she loves the fast pace of the classes as there isn't much down time. So since late August, she has been going to the Waxhaw Flyers All Star Cheer and she has been working so hard with her fellow team mates.

Last Saturday, the gym had an open house because they just moved to a larger space. Arabella was so excited to show Jay her routine and couldn't wait to put her uniform and makeup (I'm not a huge fan of the makeup, but know that they need it on stage when they are competing so the judges can see their faces). When I tell you that cheerleading is not the same as when I cheered in 4th or 5th grade for the local football team, I am not lying. Gone are the days of simple routines, cheers and jumps. Cheerleading is no joke, especially here in the South. Talk about competitive and being a real sport. These girls practice hard and up to 4 or 5 days a week. The tumbling they do is crazy. Arabella is on the Tiny team and they are called the Diamonds..and just because they are between 4 and 6 doesn't mean they aren't tumbling too! They are out there working their little bums off and have their eyes on the prize - trophies from the competitions they will be going to soon! Arabella and her team did great last week and I couldn't be more proud of her. Keep up the great work Arabella!!








Arabella and her team mate Claire

Here are just a few pics of some of the other teams. Arabella seems to love it and I hope she can stick with it!





No comments: