Friday, March 18, 2011

Happy Birthday Mike

Dear Michael -
I am not too sure what you will think about this blog post, but I am going to do it anyway...


Happy Birthday! It is so hard for me to believe that we are both in our 30's. Boy, time sure does fly. I can remember the night that you were born, Grandma on Monroe Street was taking care of me and I remember getting ready for bed and being very excited, I think that is my earliest memory. I don't remember you coming home from the hospital, but I remember that night. And I was so happy to be getting a brother! I know that we have not always gotten along and that is OK, but I am glad that we are close now. I honestly don't know what I would do without you. You talk sense into me when I am not thinking clearly - case in point last Saturday morning when I called you in hysterics...one hour later, I was calmer and I saw things differently. You are one of my biggest cheerleaders, you have stuck by me through thick and thin, and for that I thank you.

All of my favorite childhood memories include you. It is funny to think back on some of the silly and stupid things we did growing up, I am surprised we are still alive. Remember the banana peel incident at the beach or the flying sunroof?? I know that at the time we didn't think much of it, but just look at how the spending our summer's at the beach house(and sometimes a visit in the winter) in Westbrook have influenced us and it is now rubbing off on Arabella. We were beach babies and so is she.


And speaking of Arabella, I never could have imagined that you would be such a caring and nurturing Uncle. She adores you and loves you so much. As soon as I knew I was pregnant, I knew that no matter what we were having, be it a boy or a girl, that my baby's middle name would be an nod to you, because you are so important to me and I knew you would play an important role in their life. So when I knew my Little Bean was going to be a little girl, there was no question about her middle name, Michaela was what it was going to be.



Just look at how proud you are...the first time you held your little nugget!

I guess what I am trying to say is THANK YOU! I don't know what life would have been like without you and I am so happy to call you my brother. No matter where we live or where life takes us, you will always hold a special place in my heart. And I can only hope that you know how important you are to me. I will always be here for you. For all that you have done and continue to do, know that I am forever grateful. No matter what, you can't get rid of me and are stuck with me, your older sister, till the end.

I love you, Mike.



Love, Shana

And just for good measure, here are a few more of my favorite pics of us growing up!




No comments: