Tuesday, January 5, 2010

2010 "Resolutions" Proposals

Resolutions are tricky. On the one hand, who is not invigorated by a fresh start and the potential for improvement and change? On the other, some of us are known to bite off more than we can chew (myself included), taking on more than we can manage, and in no time we throw in the towel and are back to our old habits.

I am not a fan of the word resolution, therefore, I am calling my Resolutions, Proposals. By using proposal instead of resolution, putting them in writing and posting them on the blog, I feel I have more accountability. And more accountability can and should lead to greater success. It will also allow me to share my progress and at the end of the year report back on how I did.

So without further ado, here are my Proposals (in no specific order)....

1. Teach Arabella how to make snow angels and catch snowflakes on her tongue. This is a proposal stems from fond memories that I have of my own childhood. I remember playing the in snow with my mom and brother and we used to make snow angels. We used to have so much fun and this is a "tradition" that I would like for Arabella to be a part of.

2. Join a Mom's Group. I have already begun the process for joining the Wee Wiggles. It is one of Montreal's largest and most active mom's group on the West Island. I am looking forward to joining to meet new friends and to have some wonderful play dates and groups for Arabella. We need to get out the house and experience all that Montreal and the area has to offer, so bu joining this group, I hope to achieve this.

3. Journal. I would like to start journaling more often. I am not too sure why, other than it helps to clear my thoughts and refresh me.

4. Yoga. I loved doing yoga and would like to get back into it. Not only does it relax me, but it helps to keep my mind and body in top performance. I love the peace and quiet that comes with practicing. It will also help with the back issues that I have right now and it will continue to keep me limber and flexible. I need to be in order to keep up with Arabella and all her energy. In theory, I would like to find a studio and be able to attend class at least once a week.

5. Pre-Arabella Weight. I need to get back to my Pre-Arabella weight. Not only will I feel better, but I will be able to wear all the clothes that are hanging in my closet. This will be a challenge for me, but I am going to try my hardest to get back to where I should me. Not only do I need to do this for me, but I also need to be in good health and shape for Arabella and Jay. I have started my exercise regime again and we do not have "junk" in the house. I know it takes hard work and dedication, and I am ready to give it my all.

6. Run 5K. A follow up to Number 5, is running a 5K. I am not a runner so this will be a challenge for me. Who knows where it will lead, maybe I will become a runner. It is also motivation to aid in my weight loss.

7. Learn French. My lessons will be starting next week. I am not sure that I will become fluent in French, but I would like to learn enough so that I can manage and understand people when we are out. It would also be helpful when we go out to eat as many menus are in french. I would also like to be able to have Arabella become bilingual while we are living here. So if Jay and I are speaking French at home, it will be that much easier for her to pick up.

8. Create Wedding Album. As many of you know, Jay and I just received our wedding photos last summer. Yes, that would be 3 years after our wedding. Part of the legal agreement that we came to with the photographer was that we would receive all the photos on DVD/CD but we would not get an album. Therefore, we do not have one. So I would like to create one. There are many online websites that help you to create beautiful albums. It will be a creative outlet for me and I am looking forward to it.

9. Update Arabella's Scrapbook. As a shower gift, I was given a beautiful scrapbook for Arabella and the chronicling of her first year. For a while I did really well keeping it up to date. But then I slacked off so I need to finish it up.

10. Clean Eating Cooking Method. I subscribe to a wonderful magazine called Clean Eating. It encourages you to eat and cook food that is raw and unprocessed and does not have preservatives. They also suggest eating foods that have no more than 5 ingredients listed in them. We do a good job of eating a lot of organic foods, as well as, fruits and vegetables. We eat meat this is organic, free range and not given hormones. So if I follow the method, it will help our overall lifestyle and health.

11. Create a Home keeping Schedule and Stick to it. This is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time. Now that I am home with Arabella, I think that it will be easier to stick to. It is also easier to do a few things every day instead of waiting until one day on the weekend to clean the whole house. By creating this schedule it will allow us more time to do things as a family. And it is always nice to have a clean and orderly home. I think that if I can do this, Martha would be so proud!

12. Go through Clothes and Shoes. I am going to go through every piece of clothing that I have. I will do the same with my shoes. I will get rid of or donate anything that is ripped, torn, stained, outdated or I just won't wear again. This one will be tough for me, but I need to do it.

13. Travel and Explore. Living in a new country will allow us to visit places we have never been to. We will also be able to travel to different provinces. I am also looking forward to exploring Old Montreal and Quebec City. There can be an adventure each time we walk out our door.

14. Catch up with Family and Friends. I realize that time is precious and you never know what tomorrow will bring. I would like to get back in touch with friends that I have lost touch with. I also want to spend time with my family back in Connecticut. Now that I am not working and we are only a 6 or so hour drive away, Arabella and I will be able to make more frequent trips to visit.

So there they are, my 14 proposals. I am going to give them my all!

No comments: